What you need to FTP your files.
- A computer with Internet access and an Internet browser. Netscape is available free at www.netscape.com. Internet Explorer is available free at www.microsoft.com.
- FTP software. There are many FTP software programs available for the PC and MAC free at www.shareware.com. Just search on "FTP". Or you can use Netscape or MS Internet Explorer. (MS Internet Explorer requires an ftp plug-in provided on the Microsoft website.)
Uploading your files is a two step process.
- Launch your Internet browser and go to the InControl Productions FTP Services website. Once there, you create a secure directory for your submission and receive a User ID. See the detailed instructions below.
- Launch your FTP software and upload your files to your secure directory. This site will confirm receipt of your submission by email. See the detailed instructions below.
Step by Step instructions
- Create the secure directory via the InControl Productions FTP Services website.
- Launch your Internet Browser
- In the Address/Location field, type http://www.incontrolproductions.com
- Enter the HICSS 2001 site ID: 350275
- Enter your email address.
- Click on the Submit button.
- The screen will refresh and you enter:
Your First Name
Your Last Name (your last name is used to create a unique User ID;
therefore, the only legitimate characters the system will accept are A-Z, 0-9, (, ), and _)
Your Email Address
A password of your choice
Paper ID# - this is the file name that was provided to each author in your acceptance letter
- Click on the Submit button.
- If there are no problems with what you entered in the fields above, the system will confirm that you have successfully created a secure FTP directory.
Note: If you have created a directory before on this system, your personal information, including your password, will be shown on the screen.
- Print this screen (Secure Directory Created) for reference; you will also receive an email containing the same information.
- Upload the file containing your paper and the file containing your abstract to your secure FTP directory.
- Launch your FTP software application.
- Follow your FTP software instructions to connect with "www.incontrolproductions.com"
- If you are using Netscape or Internet Explorer to FTP your file, use the URL link given in the page that confirmed the Secure Directory creation.
- In the User ID field type the User ID assigned to you; it was displayed on the "Secure Directory Created" screen and again in the confirming email.
- In the Password field type the Password you chose when you created your secure FTP directory. (Passwords are case sensitive.)
- Connect to the site.
- You will see a list of directories. Open the directory for HICSS 2001 named: 350275.
- You should see a directory with the same name as your User ID. Open that directory.
- Upload your files into that directory. If using Netscape or Internet Explorer, simly drag and drop your file to the browser page. When FTP Services detects your files (after you have uploaded it) it will move the files to inside a firewall. So, you may not see your files if you refresh the directory view a few minutes later. Do not resubmit your files; they have already been accepted.
- When your files are detected by FTP Services, you will receive an email message at the address you provided when you created your directory. It will confirm that your submission was received. If you do not receive an e-mail confirmation, contact the services staff (contact information is below).
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. How will I know if my paper was received?
A. You will receive a confirmation email when your paper is detected. If you do not receive an e-mail confirmation, contact the services staff (contact information is below).
Q. I uploaded my paper to the InControl Productions FTP Services site but when I went back later to see if it was there, it was gone. What happened to it?
A. Once your submission is detected on our site, we move it inside our firewall to a location where our Production Team can access it.
Q. What if I need to send a new version?
A: Use the same FTP location, User ID, and Password you used before and upload the new version of your paper. There is no need to create a new directory.
Q. I have uploaded two different versions of my paper. How do you know which one to use?
A. Each version of your submission is automatically numbered so that we know which one is the most current.
Q. My system keeps timing out when I try to upload my file. What should I do?
A. You can try two things. If your file is large, you may want to compress it before uploading it. (zip, sit, tar, etc.) If you have already done this, you should wait a little while and then try to upload your file again. Sometimes your specific Internet route may experience heavy Internet traffic, slowing down your connection and resulting in time-outs and/or painfully slow transmissions.
Q. If I have questions about the FTP submission of my paper, whom can I email or call?
A. The InControl Productions can help. email email@example.com.
Q. What if absolutely nothing has worked and the deadline is critical?
A. Call Eileen Dennis at 812-331-0551 or email firstname.lastname@example.org OR call Sandy at the HICSS Conference Office at 808-956-3251 or email email@example.com.